Monday, January 23, 2012

Is Leadership Thankless?

Certain things in my day to day life are really important to me.

How I spend my time has to be number one (heck it’s one to five) because life is short. Treating people the way I want to be treated is right up there too. If I go all “Tasmanian Devil” on you, believe me there is a reason! 

I’m not proud to admit that I can unequivocally be the single biggest bitch you may ever come across but I honestly try hard not to live my life in that lane. I am thankful for who I am and what I have. As a person, I feel I am generous. When it comes to sharing my friendship, life experience (been know to snow blow a driveway or two) I am there 120%. 

So here's the final jeopardy question. When you meet (or report to) someone in a leadership role, does that automatically change your perception of who they truly are?

My favorite quote of all time is “if you want to test someone’s character, give them power” I find that statement monumental. Yep, I am a leader. I am the first to put up my hand and admit that I dressed for the job I wanted (and that I have). But on days like today I have to put this out there... Why is leadership so thankless?

No point in explaining why I am asking the question (one leads in hopes that others will gravitate to the overall philosophy that enables them to receive a bi-weekly paycheck) but I raised my voice today. I have never done that in the workplace before.

Not going to lie, it has my heart heavy and my glass of wine chilled. That said, there is one thing I know for sure....

Tomorrow is a new day and I always GREET each new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment