Sunday, May 6, 2012

Does Lack of Sleep Breed Indifference?

Last week was brutal for me. Don’t get me wrong; my whirlwind adventure was wicked fun, but when I put my plans in place, I never expected to end up so totally worn out. I honestly can’t remember the last time I’ve been so exhausted.

As young Darren constantly reminds, I’m ‘approaching my senior years', and he’s absolutely right. I am very much a creature of habit, and lack of sleep for me is more painful than not eating or even being really ill. 

Why so exhausted?

I didn’t sleep Wednesday night (anticipation), little sleep Thursday night (event participation), zero shut eye Friday night (Staci situation), so with my bed calling my name last night, I finally got a great night sleep.

To me, the key to being really well rested, is waking up on my own.

You know what I mean, remain horizontal until you hear your inner self announce 'I've had just about enough of this bed for one day'... (THAT is when I start to think about starting my day.) Honestly? I allow myself that specific luxury about once a year.

Being overtired, always makes me over think. Truth be known, when exhausted, I can easily confuse even the sharpest Mensa candidate!

I'm not proud to admit that when I am cranky I focus on the very finite and totally irrelevant detail. I tend to be dismissive, but most of all, distance myself from any interaction with others. As a full blown extrovert, I completely shut down and become (for lack of a better word) indifferent. 

It’s not complicated, it’s like my mind selectively downplays things, so that I don’t have to deal with the reality at hand. History has proven that this is a reflex for me and it automatically kicks in once I begin breathing through my eyelids!!!

Wash. Rinse. Repeat?

The last weekend in June has my BFF flying into YYZ from Whitehorse. We are going to gather with old friends, I’m gonna introduce him to some new peeps, and I know it’ll go nonstop. After the last five days I only have one word of advice for myself.

AMBIEN… I’m thinking if could be the gift that keeps on giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment