Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G IS FOR GOOD n’ GRAY

The Ole Gray Mare, she ain't what she use to be...
OR so you may think!
TAKEN: April 2014
When I started preparing the sauce for dinner this evening, my son walked into the kitchen and said, “Whoa there Mama… You really need to dye your hair!” 

Not wanting to suppress his extremely keen sense of observation (forever embracing the fact that we are cleverly disguised as a normal family) I smiled and reinforced the obvious.

“No shit, Sherlock!” was all I said.

My hair started to go gray shortly after I gave birth to the twins over twenty years ago. It started with the odd lone white curly cue sprig, that would pop up on the crown of my head. Then, before long, it became readily noticeable that I was in need of colourful help.

For the last year or so, I've debated what to do. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that the stress of the last few years has thinned my locks but that doesn't mean I want to throw in the towel and shave my head.

Some advise me to just let it go white and embrace its magnificent hue and my curls; guess I'm just not sure if I'm ready for that. I do tire of the tri-weekly ritual of doing my roots but at this stage I am getting pretty efficient at it. I guess I'll just continue with the status quo, staying far away from harsh chemicals, as well as a brush and comb.

At the end of the day, I don't see my gray hair as a hindrance, I see it as a reward for finally embracing who I am. What can I say, change is exactly that... CHANGE. You either embrace it or you don't.

I may be good and gray but when it comes to my overall outlook the math is a 95/5 split.

95% GOOD n' 5% GRAY!

8 comments:

  1. Great outlook. I have no intentions of giving in to my gray yet - I love my stylist and the occasional box of Garnier in a pinch. Thrilled to have earned every gray hair, but not quite ready to look like my mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! I dye my own hair and head to a salon about once a year for a tune up. I really do have to baby it and will continue to do so for quite some time is suspect! :)

      Delete
  2. The grey in my hair started getting noticeably when I was in my early 40s, especially when it was medium length. It streaked in a nice way that women thought I was doing it on purpose. LOL. The Mama would love me to die my hair because she does. But, since I don't she probably prefers I don't stand too near her at parties.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Su-siee Mac - WELCOME. I just popped over you your Blog and realized we both picked the same subject for our letter G. If you have a suggest for H - send it my way I'm stumped! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just have a streak of grey down one side of my head (if I was male it would be called 'distinguished'), but I quite like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only do we have gray hair in common - I just jumped over to your blog and admired your photos. (...Of great golf courses no less!) Thanks for following and I look forward to following you. :)

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a good attitude. I guess I have a gray hair or two or... : )
    Aloha! Hopping from Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney. It may be mid-life but I guess I can just be happy I haven't fallen and broken a hip! Hopping over to see you now :)

      Delete