Thursday, July 31, 2014

...I Honestly Didn’t See THAT Coming!

A couple of years ago, what seemed like out of the blue, a media colleague quit their job. We weren’t really close personal friends per say - yet we had a mutual respect for the others’ work ethic and overall business savvy. I remember the day he told me he was branching out and opening his own agency.

IDP Message Circa: 2007
Working for yourself and working for a large company are two totally different birds. I suppose because I've done both, I can pull from the number of different experiences I learned from. 

When I ventured out on my own in 2004, I knew cost management was something I loved; yet, I had no sales experience. I knew I would have to dig my heels in to find success. 

Much to my surprise, the sales piece came quite easily. Conditioning myself into taking a 24 hour cooling down period was something I had to develop. It was just one of many skills I had to hone.

It takes a very specific skill set (as well as discipline) to be an independent. Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker... If you don’t sell, you don’t eat. More importantly, if you don’t treat your supply chain like Gold, you’re very quickly hung out to dry. 

I am so very fortunate that during my IDP days I'd always surrounded myself with the right Team players. As a result, I made sure they were paid before myself. Truth of the matter was, ten years ago, I needed all of them, more than they needed me to sell their abilities.

I've always said that 'it's ones that know it all... that have no ability to grow.' Their ego simply take up all the air in any given room they enter. At the end of the day... Why rant about the the little bit of bad debt I incurred today? It's simply another life lesson learned.

I'll still wish the old boy Good Luck. ...and caution him to tread carefully. Not sure why I'd bother. Seems he knows everything as he bullied me into submission.

Or did he?



No comments:

Post a Comment